Today was an interesting day, and didn't get off to too great of a start. We got up early, got ready, and were in the process of doing so when the suitcase porter came and knocked on the door 15 minutes before bags were due outside the door. It wasn't a big deal, he was just early, but I (Meredith) hate that feeling like people are waiting or that I should have done something and didn't, so it annoyed me a bit. (I know, I know, get over it, blah blah.) Then, Michael went down for breakfast and took his backpack which had several things in it I needed to get dressed and ready, so I was stranded. When he came back up, realized, etc., I rushed, and got down to the bus on time, but was the very last person. Still not late, mind you, but EVERY other person was early, so it felt like it. Then, because of that, we got stuck in the VERY. LAST. SEATS. Remember my saying I wanted the front seat?!? So, that stunk, as well.
We got on the road and my embarrassment wore off, and it turns out that Maria actually runs a seat rotation, so everyone gets a chance to pretty much sit in every seat at some point. That made me feel a lot better because it meant I wasn't screwed for the next 2.5 weeks into a crappy seat. And, as it also turned out, the back seats are actually four seats, so I was able to lay down during the drive and sleep quite comfortably. Hmmm... silver lining, anyone?
Hit another rough patch when we stopped for a bathroom and snack break; by the time we got through the line with tea, paid, etc. there wasn't enough time to drink the tea. Urrrrrr! I had to leave perfectly prepared tea there and get back on that stinkin' bus after being rushed and everything previously (there were no to-go cups). Though it may sound silly, it was a bit stressful -- I think all senses are enhanced when traveling, and as I posted previously, there's the vulnerability factor in certain places.
We continued on, and things improved greatly! Stopped in a little village for lunch and had a pleasant time, then it was off to the boat for the Rhine River cruise! Lots of people, and we were able to stake out a claim in the front of the upper deck before most people knew it existed. Then came all the people, but we were already there and had pretty good seats. We saw some cool castles, great little towns, and beautiful greenery. Germany is exactly how we pictured it, and the boat's theme music playing in the background made it straight of a "Sound of Music" scene. Weird.... and cool! Towards the end the boat turned around so it could dock and there was a HUGE change in wind because we were then facing it -- SO funny to watch, and we got a great video of my hair flying all over the place while I'm laughing and people scattering about. The chair I'd been using to prop my feet up and relax didn't have my feet on it at the time and blew up into Michael's face, knocked his beer, etc., and we laughed so hard we almost peed our pants (classy, we know).
Off the boat, and back onto the bus where we drove to Wurzberg, Germany, where we'll stay the night. It's another Novotel Hotel, which is pretty nice, so we're on a roll with the nice hotels! Yay! Now off to pick out tomorrow's outfit and have the bags ready to set out in the morning so as to not make the same mistake twice.... :)






Seen from across the restaurant... worst. date. ever. He's actually asleep.

Did you see Riegel, germany? That's where my family is from! It's a little tiny town.
ReplyDeletePs: despite the frustrating issues you've had, I am maintaining a HUGE amount of envy!! It looks amazing!!!!